Thursday, December 29, 2005

Thomas the Big Loader is my Arch Nemesis

OK, maybe not. But the danged toy is my Arch Annoyance for sure. Here's the background. Last summer after our first camping trip, we stopped at the outlet stores at North Bend. The boys were smitten by this stupid toy and their Aunt Cathy bought it for them. They loved it. We all assumed it would break and/or they would be bored with it within a couple of days. Nope.

It's been put away and brought back out at least once. Then, on Christmas Eve, it was put away to make room for Tarrytown Airport etc. All was well until today, when Eddie looked at the spot on the coffee table where it used to be. "Where my Big Yoder?"

I explained that Santa had to put it away to make room for all their new toys and that we would have to put the new toys away if we wanted to get it out. Without skipping a beat he said, "Put Jay Jay away." Later, I said.

At this point, Chas has picked up on a bit of the conversation. He looks at me, crestfallen, and says, "Santa took Big Yoder?" Now, to put this in perspective, his face and tone of voice were more suggestive of a question like, "Santa is a Nazi war criminal?" I went and pulled down the bag the Big Loader had been hastily tossed into. Chas literally squealed with delight and did a happy dance.

Did I mention that this toy is a $14.99 piece o' crap?

On another subject, the Fear may be starting to hit Eddie. I was reading them an insipid Thomas story about fish getting into Thomas' boiler (don't ask) and he said, rather tentatively, "It can't come out of the book and get me." What? Thomas? The fish? I shudder to think what their imaginations are making of these stories. On the other hand, the stories are so ferociously boring, it's nice to know that they are imagining something more entertaining than what I'm reading.

No comments: