Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Thanksyou'rewelcome

So in trying to teach the children some manners, we've inadvertently caused Eddie to coin a new phrase. "Thanksyou'rewelcome." He frequently remembers to say thanks when someone does something for him, but he instantly fills in their part of the exchange by tagging "you're welcome" to the end of every thanks. It makes me laugh almost every time.

Other random thoughts today: Chas has quite possibly the longest eyelashes I've ever seen. Seriously, one smidgen longer and I swear they would look freaky. Suffice it to say, he shouldn't have a lot of trouble with dust and crud getting into his eyes.

The boys helped me make some sugar cookies -- star-shaped -- today. They selected as the color of their stars the unconventional color green. Not the best sugar cookies ever -- egg-free for Chas of course. But lovely and tasty in their own way.

And finally, this: I know I'm not the first parent to have these thoughts. Still, sometimes, especially during "snuggles" I look at them and have a hard time really believing that they are my children. My sons. These exquisitely beautiful, loving, funny, smart, wonderful boys are my sons. I'm their mother, or rather, one of them. It's hard to believe how blessed I am with these little stinkers -- sometimes it just doesn't seem real. And so, to God I say, "Thanksyou'rewelcome."

No comments: