Saturday, December 03, 2005

Little Bit, meet Bossy Boiler

When Eddie was born, and for a long time after, I used to call him "Little Bit." Because he was smaller than Chas and just seemed like my Little Bit. So now, though he's still smaller than Chas, he's developing a new nickname. Now he's our little "Bossy Boiler." It's a Thomas the Tank Engine put-down for the know-it-all engine named Emily. It fits him quite well.

Speaking of Thomas, I am equal parts horrified and oddly proud of the fact that the boys can name pretty much every freakin' train sold by the The Holy Church of the Sacred Thomas. It's so sad. I always swore my boys wouldn't join the Thomas Cult. But you turn your back for 15 minutes and they're suddenly slack-jawed, blank-eyed little Thomas Freaks. It was so innocent, really. I Tivoed some Thomas just to see what the heck the fuss was about. Then we watched together. I was unimpressed. They were completely and utterly seduced by that ridiculous blue engine and his cheeky ways. Before this really took hold, they were completely smitten by Jay Jay the Jet Plane and his pals. I was more OK with that because A. There is a future in flight, space travel etc. but more importantly, 2. It was something different from every other little boy on the planet, enabling me to feel that my sons were somehow cooler, smarter, more advanced than other children. Now I must face the truth that they have the same pedestrian tastes as every other preschool boy. But those engines are pretty cute. And it is awfully smart of them to be able to name them all.

Sigh. Such ridiculous rationalizations. The truth is, it doesn't even matter that other kids their age or so are starting to read. Besides, I'll bet those kids can't sing all the lyrics to even ONE televisions show, whereas my boys can sing you Jay Jay, Thomas, Bob the Builder and even make a stab at Jo Jo's Circus. So there.

No comments: