Friday, March 31, 2006

Eddie says Mommy was "e-cited."

I cried. To be clear, there weren't tears literally flying off my face ala Eddie and occasionally Chas. But there was an excess of fluid pooling in my eyes. What caused this uncharacteristic eruption of elation? A phone message. It was the triage nurse from our new allergist's office. At first my heart nearly stopped and crawled into my throat because the initial words, after introducing herself as the triage nurse, were that the allergy tests were "still positive." Fear ever so briefly starts gnawing at the pit of my stomach. Until I heard the next words. "But much less so than before." Then she gave me the numbers for egg and peanut. And then the payoff. Words that I never thought I would hear. "Dr. Virant says that hopefully he will still outgrow those." Outgrow those. Not just outgrow egg. Outgrow peanut. The messaage went on to say that he was negative for dust mites and grasses and positive but very low for soy which the doctor thinks is not clinically significant.

At this point, I have tears in my eyes and I'm jumping up and down, turning in circles and frantically calling Steph to share the news.

To put this in perspective, our original allergist said there was a 50-50 chance of outgrowing egg, unknown chance of outgrowing soy and a 1 in 1,000 chance of outgrowing peanut.

Eddie noted my mood and happily -- and a bit quizzically -- noted that "Mommy is ee-cited."

All of this on a day when we find out Steph's job is uncertain. I don't even care. We're going to challenge soy. Our boy could eat a cheeseburger at McDonald's without a side trip to the grocery store to pick up a safe bun in a couple of weeks. Life is good.

1 comment:

BetterLater said...

Mama was "e-cited" too. Running through her office saying "yes!" Considering the news that we'd just had a staff meeting that provided a less-than-rosy future outlook for our newspaper, people thought I was high or nuts or both. God, it was so good to feel happy like that. I think the happiness had an added intensity because of the intense fear and disappointment we felt when we first had the news.

No matter what happens, we will always live our lives somewhat attuned to allergens. And we'll make sure people we know get accomodation they need. 'Cause allergies can make you feel so isolated.

So here's to better and better numbers for our boy -- and everyone with allergies.