Thursday, March 23, 2006

Things I don't wanna know about and Marigolds




Tonight the boys were with their auntie whilst Steph and I took in the first act of an utterly forgettable musical at the Fifth Avenue Theatre. (We left after intermission not because it was horrible but because it wasn't particularly good either.) Enroute home, we learn that Eddie choked on a lifesaver candy. (Something I recall doing numerous times as a child.) Cathy said her clue was his panicked eyes. Just as she prepared to Heimlich him, it popped out. He told me it was scary. (For his part, Chas was scared by a segment of "Goodnight Moon and Other Stories" that he watched at auntie's house. The whole segment about how you don't need to be afraid of your nightmares terrified him. He tearfully told us all about it when we got home.)

Can I just say it scared the crap out of me after it was over just to hear about my boy choking? As we left, I got Eddie to tell Cathy, "Thanks for scaring the pee(wadden) out of my brother." It got a chuckle, so it's been repeated several times.

After the trauma, quick but also traumatic showers, pjs, teeth brushing, books, cuddles and almost instant sleep for both boys. But during this, I noticed that the name train spelling "Chas" was down from its perch. Its high perch. I had gotten the "Eddie" train down yesterday for Eddie, but we replaced it. Hmm. I asked Steph if she had gotten "Chas" down. From its high perch. Its high, extraordinarily-precarious-climbing-require- if-you-are-under-5' 5'' perch. She said no. Then we looked at each other with something akin to terror and agreed we didn't want to think about how it got down. There are simply no good alternatives.

However, on a much happier note, the boys planted Marigolds today. (And some beans from their bean table.) They put the soil in the little pots, put the seeds in, covered them, watered them and then immediately expected flowers. Uhhh. So this is going to be an excrutiating lesson in delayed gratification, I suspect. We have a dozen little peat pots in window sills around the house, awaiting the miracle of sprouting. (After it was over -- and I hate to mention this for fear that no one will ever want to come over for dinner -- Chas took the spoon he'd used to scoop soil and put it back in the silverware drawer. I took it out. But I realize I'm going to have to double check the cleanliness of utensils from that drawer from here on out.

These pictures, of course, are from the planting.

2 comments:

BetterLater said...

Some illumination about the CHAS letter train: Chas told me this morning, while searching for his slippers, that Eddie got it.

"Eddie got it? You mean he climbed up here?" I asked this while confidently patting the 3 1/2 foot TV stand that I was sure Eddie hadn't climbed.

I tried to keep my "oh no he didn't" feeling out of my tone, so Chas would be forthright with me. And he confirmed that yes, Eddie climbed, got, and survived. Yikes.

BetterLater said...

And can I just say how sweet the boys look in these pictures? So focused yet so happy.

Perhaps they're just glad the squirt bottles aren't turned on their little heads, as Mommy does each morning, comb in hand, to neaten them up.