Friday, February 10, 2006

Eddie's Very Pretty Rainbow


On Wednesday, Eddie and Chas were in childwatch at the Y for a short time while I just took a shower. When I picked them up, Eddie was finishing this masterpiece. (Chas was just starting his.) Anyway, I told them both that their picture was very pretty. Eddie took it to heart. We cannot hang this up because he needs to carry it with us in the diaper bag in case he needs to look at it and admire his artistry.

Last night, he had to sleep with it. I warned about wrinkles and suggested we put it on the nightstand. He screamed, "I NEED MY VERY PRETTY RAINBOW!" Guess who won? The funny thing is that more than once in the night and early morning when he awoke just a bit, he had to forage around to find his Very Pretty Rainbow, admire it and fall back to sleep with a smile on his face. When he finally woke up for real, it was not only wrinkled but suffered what I can only imagine was an unfortunate drool accident. He wanted me to get the wrinkles out. I suggested putting it under some heavy books for a while. No. Fix it NOW. So I got the idea of scanning it in and printing it out anew. He was thrilled beyond all expectations by seeing it on the computer screen and is happy with the new print, though the ghosts of the wrinkles are plainly seen.

So here it is. The masterpiece that has become an obsession. And though you might think those words at the bottom say "Happy Valentine's Day," you would be wrong. Eddie insists, quite loudly and emotionally, that they say "Rainbow." And if I've learned anything in the last nearly three years, it's that you don't mess with Ed.

No comments: