Thursday, February 07, 2008

Why I Heart Hillary

OK, I admit it. I would love Hillary to be our next president. Yes, I know she was wrong about the war. Yes, I know she's a manipulative, political insider. But at least she's a manipulative, political insider working mostly for the right things.

Will I support Barack if he's the nominee? With some heaviness in my heart, but yes. But I'll always be wistful for what could have been. I've searched my soul looking for a reason I'm not excited about him -- is it racism? No. But identity politics do have something to do with it, I'm sure. I look at him and see a powerful man who has certainly overcome a lot. But I don't understand and feel the things he's overcome the way I connect with Hillary's trials and challenges. (And I think gender issues are just naturally closer to gender identity and sexual orientation issues -- I think she "gets" those in a way he doesn't.) It just feels all too familiar seeing people jump to support the younger, charismatic guy while dismissing the woman "of a certain age" for someone who's just plain sexier. Yeah, she knows her stuff. Yeah, she can do the job great. But geez, look at those crow's feet. And aren't we kind of bored with her?

So I'll be caucusing for Hillary. Nothing against Barack -- I'm sure he's a swell guy who would make a great president.

Oh yeah, and here's what prompted this post. It's a letter to the LGBT community that Hillary posted to a gay website. http://www.ourchart.com/node/299303.

GO HILLARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

BetterLater said...

My enthusiasm for going to the Hillary Clinton rally in Seattle last night hit a high point as we headed there around 7, plummeted when she still hadn't arrived by 9, then skyrocketed when she hit the stage. Supporting a candidate can be like falling in love. And if your candidate doesn't make it past a certain point, you then must "try to love" someone else, which never quite works. Well, Hillary's for me. I could be swayed if we disagreed significantly on major issues, but we don't. I think she gets me and my family. I think she cares about middle America and the poor. I'm all about the universal health care thing. So, thank you, Dear Wife, for encouraging me to go to the rally!

Barbara Clements said...

Go Cheryl!

I too am supporting Hilary, and wouldn't you know it, got picked to talk one minute for our caucus group on why vote for HC.

I guess it came down to two or three key points. One: She knows how the place is wired and there will be almost NO learning curve. She can start next Jan 20 and get us out of Iraq, beat up on big oil and get the cars up to 35 mpg NOW, and work on saving the polar bears NOW.

And it's high time to have a mom in the white house.