Tuesday, February 05, 2008

The best Mommy in the whole, wide world.

This morning Chas awoke, hugged me and very sleepily said, "You are the best Mommy in the whole, wide world." It's the kind of affirmation I needed after last night's kindergarten readiness panel. At this panel we were essentially told that if we didn't put our kids in full-day kindergarten -- and probably hold them back a year as well --they would remain academically behind their peers, social followers prone to illegal behavior in their teen years and generally ill-suited to leading happy, productive lives. On the other hand, we were also cautioned that these are precious days when they are able to learn so much that if we hold them back too long, they will be dumb as bricks.

I have no intention of holding them back -- they're ready, according to their preschool teacher. Nor do I intend to spend $500 a month so they can attend full-day kindergarten. I mean, it's not like they'll be in daycare or sitting in front of the boob tube on their off days. (OK, not ALL of the time...)

I know much of what we were told was a load of crap. But it was a wake-up call to the realities of public school in 2008. The WASL looms large, even in kindergarten. The pressure is on and there's no time for 5-year-olds to waste looking for worms, building forts or checking out the animals at the zoo. I suppose all of this hit me -- and my friends -- hard because it was the first time we weren't the over-achievers in the parenting department. We're used to being the ones who did it all "right." We're involved parents who give our kids a healthy mix of structured and self-directed play, of group and solo activities. And suddenly we were being told that what our guts tell us is right for our kids is all wrong.

But the truth is, though it made me uncomfortable to hear my decisions challenged and derided, it didn't change my mind. Whether it's a decision about going to the ER because someone's breathing is funny or sending them to kindergarten half-time, I'm going with my gut. It's worked so far. And who are they to challenge me, the best mommy in the whole, wide world?

1 comment:

BetterLater said...

Amen, mommy!