Thursday, February 14, 2008

My boy the Super Girl

Last night Chas and I were both feeling pretty miserable with this cold and as we lay in bed snuggling away the chills that hit us both, we talked about school. Specifically, about the "mean kids" at school. He named names and I must say, I wasn't surprised. Later, as he slept, I asked Eddie about this. He also named names, but his list was much longer and included virtually every boy in his class save him and his brother.

The gist of Eddie's story is that the other boys play Mutant Ninja Turtles and play fight and -- with the exception of Chas, of course -- take toys from Eddie and the three girls in the class. "We are playing Super Girls and fixing the house and they just take our toys when we aren't even through playing with them," he said. I asked him to repeat, to confirm that I'd heard correctly that he plays "Super Girls." He was quite nonchalant in his affirmation.

At that moment I was so happy he does not have a father. Because I think that's a hard thing for a dad to hear without worrying. Men are so tied up in their sons' masculine identities that even the most progressive of them would surely feel a twinge and somehow start sending a message that it's not cool to be a Super Girl. I find it charming that he's still so secure in his own essential "maleness" to not be disturbed by labels. And I'm thrilled that he finds fighting -- even "play fighting" distasteful. (Though I wish he'd feel the same about fighting with his brother.)

And speaking of distasteful fighting .... Today to break up a battle I told them that if you fight with someone you love on Valentine's Day, your Valentine's candy will turn bitter and yucky. Eddie told me he doesn't believe it, but I insisted and since then, they've been getting along beautifully.....

No comments: