Thursday, August 07, 2008

Dreamy divers, bully brats, oh, and heart attack scares...

I've been meaning to blog -- really I have -- about all sorts of things. Like my nephews' dive meet and how dreamy they are. (Just call me Auntie Perv I guess.) About the ongoing saga of the bully next door. Maybe even something about Eddie falling nose-first off of his bike and the resulting skinned up nose.

But I never got around to it. Now, however, I've got nothing but time on my hands. Because I'm stuck in a stinkin' hospital. Because I had chest pains. And they've been doing blood work and EKGs since just after 9 this morning and aren't letting me go until tomorrow, even though everything looks normal. Oh, actually, they want me to stay tomorrow for a stress test that will take ALL DAY. But I think I've negotiated a break from that if I promise to schedule one and visit a cardiologist as an outpatient.

From all of this, I have learned three things:

1. nitroglycerin tablets burn and then make your whole body feel weird -- and end with a headache.
2. don't go to the er with chest pains unless you really have no interest in seeing your home anytime in the near future.
3. I'm a really bad patient. (Mostly because of my efforts to get the hell out of here ASAP by denying all pain and discomfort anywhere near my chest.)

I miss my boys. I miss my bed. I do not like listening to men loudly vomit up blood. (Sample overheard convo in the er: "So how many times have you vomited blood?" "Just twice today." "So when did this start?" "Two months ago.")

Anyway, I've got a lot of work to do and a looming deadline and let's just say this little hospital "vacation" is not reducing my stress levels.

2 comments:

R said...

OK, time for a follow-up entry! Hope you're home and simply too diverted by good pursuits to update.

- Rebekah

MommyCheryl said...

Sorry about that. Yes, I'm home and fine. It was a weird and almost entirely unpleasant experience. I fully expected to be sent home with a pat on the head by an ER staff. It was a little shocking when they told me they wanted to admit me AND gave me nitroglycerin tabs.

But it has given me some perspective about things and that's always nice.