Saturday, August 09, 2008

She's alive!!!

And seemingly well. I managed to get myself sprung from the hospital yesterday with a promise that I'd get a stress test scheduled ASAP as an outpatient. Most of yesterday was spent sleeping, which you absolutely cannot do in a hospital.

So while I'm not looking forward to the battery of tests and appointments that no doubt loom before me, I am actually happy that the hospital actually seemed to check things out quite thoroughly. It's funny -- I have three family members who had major heart attacks. One, my father, actually died. Which, come to think of it, isn't really funny, but I digress. What's funny is that the people I know who actually had heart attacks were either first misdiagnosed and sent away with antacids only to return in an ambulance hours later, or very nearly sent home with nary a test because they had no significant risk factors. I, on the other hand, apparently did not have a heart attack but got the full treatment. It seems that when it comes to heart attacks and my family, the medical profession has an abysmal track record of knowing when to take symptoms seriously. I am also quite happy to be the one who got what turned out to be unnecessary tests rather than one who missed necessary testing.

2 comments:

R said...

VERY glad to hear all that! :)
Glad you have doctors who err on the correct side.

Barbara Clements said...

I'm so glad this turned out well, Cheryl!! That can be scary.

About 3 years ago, I'm sitting at the TNT in front of my computer, and I realize I'm sweaty, strange pain down my right arm (isn't it supposed to be my left?) and an odd feeling of anxiety.

Okay. I google women and heart attacks. And the med web page goes on and on about displaced symptoms, etc.

So I ask by TL to take me to the emergency room about noon. I try to talk her out of it as we walk into the hospital (allenmore) and she says no deal, you're going inside. Once there, they do every test in the book and about 6 hours later, release me with a clean bill of health and a $2000 bill (which insurance covers).

So there you go. I'm glad I went. I'm glad they were so thorough, but I didn't realize how long it would take.

I just didn't want my newspaper obit to read "she died at her computer checking out med web sites" or end up on boingboing net

Again, I'm so glad everything's fine.

Barb