Monday, August 25, 2008

Biden my tongue

So I knew it wouldn't be Hillary -- but Joe Biden seems to be a particularly tone deaf pick for Obama's running mate. Not only does it do nothing to appease the Clinton faithful, it's actually kind of a finger in their eye. And it makes him seem the elitist the GOP is trying to paint him as. Why? Because it seems like he's saying he's smarter than the voters. Biden gathered a few thousand votes after going for broke in Iowa. He was offered up and rejected by voters. (More than once, I might add.) Clinton, on the other hand, was the choice of 18 million voters.

Now, like I said, I didn't think it would be Hillary. But I also didn't think it would be someone who actually ran in this election and lost so badly.

Sigh. I know I should be more excited about this ticket. And of course, Michelle and the girls were adorable tonight.

Plus, he can't do worse than the current occupant of the White House, so he'll get my vote come November, however unenthusiastic.

1 comment:

Barbara Clements said...

I feel the same way. When Biden was chosen, both Jennifer and I, ardent Clintonites, were saying "What, he's going for the old white guy vote, and as for the women, they can go fish?"

Now GAry, no fan of Obama's pointed out B. fills holes in O's resume, ie. Washington insider, foreign policy, etc.

Okay, fine. But wasn't there any women out there that could do the same?

BC