Monday, July 28, 2008

Still here. Just tired.

So I haven't blogged for a while. But I have an excuse, of course. Steph was gone to a work thing for four days. I gotta say, I have newfound respect for single parents. It's just plain hard to not have another adult coming home at the end of the day to give you a break.

And yet... there was something oddly enjoyable about it. First, there was a certain novelty. As sad as it seems, it kind of felt like an adventure -- like the boys and I were roughing it and somehow proving our survival skills. And second, it freed me from all pretense of a schedule. I didn't have to worry/think about whether Steph would be home late and/or what she would want for dinner. When we got hungry, we ate. Truth be told, mostly we got hungry and ate at a restaurant -- I gotta have some luxury when I'm roughing it, after all. As tiring as it was to do everything for the boys myself at night, I missed her the most after they were asleep. That's when we get to talk/veg out in front of the TV. It's just not as satisfying to watch TV by myself -- even if when Steph is here she's only half-watching as she works nonstop on her laptop.

It was a brief change of pace that wasn't too bad. But I'm glad she's home. Maybe now I can actually get something done besides just keep the boys alive. As if.

1 comment:

Barbara Clements said...

Generally when Gary leaves on a b-trip, Jennifer & I start ordering thai food and watching as many scary movies as we can.

Then, my 14 year old is too scared to sleep in her own bed, so she sleeps on gary's side and all the cats join us.(we have 3).

We stay up late, knowing that GAry isn't going to go out at midnight to shoo us back to bed. But when he returns, its good to have him around, even if he is glued to the computer, trolling for orchids.
BC