Thursday, July 10, 2008

Breaking the Tooth Fairy

While we were at Sea World last month, I noticed one of Eddie's adult teeth had broken through -- behind his baby teeth. Hmm. Today, we saw the dentist.

I broke my usual insistence that he go back alone. I had questions. He had questions. Well, actually, he had question. "Will it hurt?" So I went with him. He got nitrous, but just a little because Bad Mommy didn't think to have him avoid eating anything beforehand. Oops.

Anyway, x-rays showed some serious crowding, so the dentist said he was going to have to take four. F-O-U-R teeth. I had expected 2 at the most. I was in a little shock, but I didn't let it show.
So some nitrous, a series of shots (He only whimpered during the first few, his eyes filling with tears. Mine didn't -- but only because I was concentrating so hard on staying cool and relaxed for him.) and a few hard twists of some very shiny plier-type instruments and voila! Four baby teeth on the gauze, four nasty-looking holes in Eddie's mouth.

He's sleeping now, bloody gauze clutched in his mouth. He was exceedingly brave and very sweet about it all. And he expects some serious love from La Tooth Fairy tonight.

So here are the before and afters -- with a real after to come after he wakes up. Notice that only one of the baby teeth had a dissolved root. I guess we need to start saving for the orthodontist now. Sigh.


Last smile with a full mouth of baby teeth. (Poor kid doesn't

know what's gonna hit him.) And, as promised the new, holier grin.



The not-so-fantastic four


Sleeping it off...

6 comments:

Sheri Ann said...

Holy cow! I've never seen baby teeth with roots before! May I link your blog to my website?

Your little guy is a trooper!! What did the tooth fairy leave him?

Sheri


Sheri Bell-Rehwoldt
Author, You Think It's Easy Being the Tooth Fairy?
12,000 copies sold!
www.4kids.Bell-Rehwoldt.com

Barbara Clements said...

Good for Eddie! I agree with Sheri, those roots were LONG! And to come into that not really prepped, well maybe that was a good thing. You didn't spend days worrying about it.

MommyCheryl said...

Yes, you may link at will.

The Tooth Fairy has been postponed because Eddie decided he wanted to keep his teeth another day so he could show his cousin! Strange, but what the heck. The tooth fairy, having witnessed the extraction process, is going to be extra generous and give him $5 per tooth. (In gold coin, of course.) This is far more extravagant than we'd planned. But as I said, the Tooth Fairy was a bit traumatized by the whole thing.

BTW, they have roots still because the permanent teeth didn't come up beneath them to dissolve the root. Actually, one was almost gone and another had started to dissolve, as you can see if you look closely. But the outside two were completely intact. I'd never seen roots on baby teeth either -- weird, huh?


The sad thing is, not only was Eddie not worrying, he was excited about going to the dentist. Ignorance IS bliss....

Sheri Ann said...

Ignorance IS bliss! ;-)

The dentist is about my least favorite person on the planet!

Sheri

MommyCheryl said...

Alas, poor Eddie should have struck while the iron was hot ... and the image of him getting his teeth pulled was still vividly fresh. Upon reflection, the Tooth Fairy has decided that while he will get an extraction/root/first tooth premium, it won't add up to $5 per. More like $2.50 per -- or $10.

Unknown said...

that pain, poor boy, I imagine that it hurt a lot, now must have a better dental care , to care for your teeth