Thursday, November 02, 2006

Sure, he was fine. He got nitrous oxide. What about me???

So today was Eddie's big day at the dentist. Two fillings which I'm absolutely certain are the result of my negligent parenting. I did my best to make him think it was a fun adventure, so much so that he quite happily left me in the waiting room to fret as he marched happily back. He must have been so shocked.

After a little more than an hour, someone came to summon me to look in on him (but not to speak aloud lest he realize I was there). He was flat on his back, tilted head-down with a little nose mask thing on and his mouth propped open seemingly watching a Thomas DVD. In theory, I guess I was supposed to relax at that point seeing as he was not screaming or crying. But I kept wondering if he was being still because he was so scared -- that's kind of his M.O. I could barely sit still in the waiting room, but pacing feverishly seemed a bit melodramatic. But that's what I felt like doing.

He came out about 20 minutes later, looking more than a little shell-shocked and with a cotton roll clutched between his teeth. The woman who brought him out told me he got a cool fish in his bag. It's bath toy sort of thing. But it was all I could do not to tell her, "Pah! I laugh at your puny fish toy!" Because let's face it, the boy was getting more than that for being such a trooper. At home he was treated to a rock mountain quarry takealong Thomas thing. He likes it a lot -- so does Chas, who has been reminded by Eddie that it isn't his prize because he didn't go to the dentist.

He seems to be doing better, perking up nicely. I, however, still need a stiff drink.

In completely unrelated news, Halloween was quite nice. The boys looked smashing and had a ball.

No comments: