Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Actually, my little entomologist, you can bite me.

This morning Chas awoke to tell me he'd been dreaming about bugs. Let me assure you, I knew instantly this was not a good dream as Chas is very, very afraid of bugs.

I actually paused a millisecond to consider just how truthful/detailed I would be in my response. Thinking of things like brown recluse spiders, should I go with "most bugs" won't hurt you or the usually but not always true "bugs" won't hurt you. I determined that the difficulties inherent in making this distinction would render the entire effort useless -- all bugs would instantly be brown recluse spiders in his frightened mind. So I went with a sin of omission.

"Bugs can't hurt you Chas," I said. "Bugs don't hurt people."

I had barely stopped speaking when Eddie weighed in, quite thoughtfully.

"Umm. Aren't wasps insects?" He asked, helpfully.

Knowing when I'd been beat, I changed the subject.

1 comment:

BetterLater said...

Isn't it just so wonderful to see their intellects develop? Yes, I know that's cold comfort when one boy's freaking about about bugs, but if Eddie's really so smart, maybe he can help his brother have better dreams.....