Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Look, Ma! No cavities!

OK, when I was a kid, I went through dentists like most people go through well, I don't know. Something they go through really quickly. My parents, I am led to believe, switched dentists nearly every visit because they were always so mortified by my absolute hysterics. Oh, and my teeth were rotten hotbeds of decay.

Finally, when I was 7, we moved to California and we settled on a dentist whose sole qualification, as near I can tell, is that he overcharged the insurance company and then let his patients off the hook for their portion. That is the only reason I can imagine anyone would go to the sadist. On one of my first visits, he slapped me because I was crying for my father. Then during the drilling, filling and torturing I overheard him complaining to his assistant that he had to do two extractions and he wasn't looking forward to it. Not knowing exactly what an extraction was, I was nervous -- remember, I was 7. So you can imagine my relief when he told me we were all finished. As I started to get up, he reached from behind, pushed me back in the chair and proceeded to extract two molars. I can still picture the tool he used.

So fast forward a few -- ahem -- years. Eddie and Chas went to the dentist today. In the past, Eddie's had to have two fillings. You'd think the kid would be hesitant. But no way. They were actually excited to go. Because you get to pick out a prize at the end. And because mom waits in the front room and boys get to feel very grown up. Oh how I wish I'd had a Dr. Gallegos in my childhood.

Anyway, the boys have no cavities. (Yay!) They're doing a great job of brushing. They were able to get x-rays of Chas and I saw his great-big-honkin' adult teeth already nestled against his front two baby teeth. The Tooth Fairy should expect to have to start making payments in this house before their next dentist visit, I'm told. Sigh. They really aren't babies anymore.

Oh, and I had to go to my own dentist today. I got chastised for not flossing regularly enough (I know!) and not wearing my night guard religiously. (I know!) AND I have cracked a filling that will have to be replaced. My danged kids are showing me up.

1 comment:

Barbara Clements said...

I'm SO glad that the boys had a good experience with the dentist. J.'s first experience was anything but when we took her in to find that high fevers and the antibiotics had stripped all the enamel off her teeth.
13 cavities, 3 that required crowns. And a dentist, unf. that was a jerk. When I FINALLY convinced her to come back to a dentist - once they were all filled - she was cowering behind the dentist chair, with the new dentist trying to coax her out with toys.
Just now, 10 years later, the trip does not involve tears.
So this is great for the boys!!! And a good checkup to boot.
BC