Monday, March 24, 2008

Daniel doesn't want to be our friend.

So, I've written before (quite a while ago, actually) about the troubled relationship Eddie and Chas have with the neighbor boy, Daniel. He's about 6 months older than they are and I sense a bit envious of both their toys and their maternal attention. He's kind of a sullen little guy. Anyway, today I heard him come to the front door as I was working on the program for the school auction. The boys had been out riding the new pedal cars they got for their birthday.

"I have a dad and you don't," Daniel said.
"Yeah. We have two moms," Eddie replied nonchalantly.

The conversation moved a bit out of earshot. But soon, Chas was back complaining that Daniel doesn't follow clearly stated rules of racing and doesn't want to be his friend, so he doesn't want to be Daniel's friend. Then Eddie comes in and says Daniel told him that they were supposed to have a dad, not two moms. I asked Eddie what he thought of that. "Well, it's wrong," he said. "A family can have a mom and a dad or two moms or even two dads or just one mom or one dad," he said. I told him he was absolutely right, then asked, "What makes a family?" I expected the word "love," but no.
"Four," Eddie said. Huh?
"Four people make a family," he said quite confidently. And then he reiterated that Daniel did not seem to understand the way families work. I agreed. And I must say, I felt both a twinge of sadness at knowing this is just the first of much teasing my boys will face, along with a twinge of maternal pride because frankly, both Eddie and Chas gave such perfect responses to the pipsqueak's homophobia.

No comments: