Wednesday, April 25, 2007

There's nothing you can do about it

So shamelessly stealing a line from the show "Scrubs," I've taken to telling Eddie and Chas, "I love you and there's nothing you can do about it." Cute little way of expressing unconditional love, right? Unless you are 4, apparently. Then, it's a challenge, a riddle, a conundrum. But they've solved it.

Eddie was the first to hit on the solution as he lay in his bed. I told him and he said, "Yes there is." And then he reached up and hugged me. Heart melting. Puddles, really, of heart all over the bed and floor.

Now everytime I say "I love you and there's nothing you can do about it," they both respond thusly: "Yes there is! I can hug you and kiss you and play with you." And then they demonstrate all three.

I confess, the "play with you" part really gets me. Because it is, without prompting, evidence that they "get" it. That they know that doing things like playing with them are other ways of expressing love.

In other news, they got their bunk beds, albeit with the ladder up against the wall until they are much, much older. Like 23. Right nwo they're sharing the bottom twin bed. Not sure how long that will last. Also not sure what the solution will be. Yikes.

No comments: