Saturday, December 30, 2006

Things my children teach me...

Last night as I was obsessively attempting to recreate one of the structures on the paper that came with the boys' new Lincoln Logs set, the boys got sick of my inability to have fun with it and pretty much moved on. Until Eddie grabbed a few pieces of log and opted to do some freestyle construction. Here's what he came up with:





Ladies and Gentlemen, a Lincoln Log Teeter Totter. Works, too. So whilst I joylessly tried to recreate what I was "supposed" to build, he kept it simple and quickly made what he wanted to build. Between that and both boys' joy at mixing up Play-Doh colors, I'm realizing that my rigid desires to do things the "right" way are hampering my enjoyment of life. (Not that I don't enjoy the bloody hell out of it already, but you know, it's not like you can ever enjoy life too much.) So though I don't typically make (OK, "keep" is more accurate) New Years resolutions, I'm going to try to follow their lead in 2007.

Because sometimes, a teeter totter is better than a stinkin' fort anyway.

No comments: