Thursday, December 04, 2008

Finally, the !*%&^@ Santa Picture!

In years past, I've gotten the boys in to get their Santa picture taken the week before Thanksgiving. It was my little secret: Santa was there and the lines weren't. This year, however, I was not as organized. So we went on Black Friday and braced for crowds. We were late in the day, and just had a couple of kids in front of us. Great, right? And then we see the picture. Um. Eddie's blurry. Can we do a retake? OK, take 2 and Eddieis perfect! But Chas is blurry. We take it and go shopping while Santa feeds his reindeer. But Steph knows it's bugging me so we go back for the third try. The people taking the pictures tell us the camera is just very sensitive to movment etc. I kept muttering loudly about the shutter speed but I didn't ask to look at it because I figured it was probably set up for them and they were told not to touch it or something. Anyway, it was blurry again but we gave up. Steph told me our standards were just too high and that we'd have a great story to tell about this year's picture.

So we got home and I tried to photoshop Eddie's non-blurry head onto one where Chas' head was also not blurry. This looked not great. And I was having a blood pressure spike every time I thought about it.

So finally, this afternoon, I put them back in their sweaters and dragged them back tthe mall, this time bringing my own camera. They protested a bit, but I told them the more times you see Santa, the more presents he brings. They seemed to buy it. Either that or they already recognized that when Mommy is obsessing about something it's best just to get out of the way.

We walked up and the girl behind the camera remembered us -- as did Santa. I thought they might run away, screaming. But no. "After you left I realized my shutter speed was too slow," she said. No kidding. so they took another one, getting better smiles from Chas anyway.

So here, at long last, is our 2008 Santa picture:

No comments: