Sunday, June 22, 2008

Home again, home again, jiggety jig...

Just returned from a week of fun in San Diego and a day in L.A. We rocked the animal world -- from dinner with Shamu to an overnight camp in San Diego Zoo's Wild Animal Park. We played at the beach, swam in the pools, fed everything from giraffes to dolphins to lorikeets. And save for the first night when we turned on the TV and learned of Tim Russert's death, we managed to avoide most news.

Oh, we enjoyed the local San Diego news -- including coverage of California's first gay marriages -- yay! And lots of talk about heat waves etc. But the constant drone was turned off. So today when I log in I'm greeted with the following: Typhoon in the Philipines, boat overturned, 700 missing. Elderly man drives into the Sound -- wife dies. Two killed in a shooting here, two more in a shooting there. Teen drowns in a local lake. Teen beaten for bringing home bad grades.

I can't believe I used to do the hard news for a living. Not just do it -- but revel in it. I loved covering the mayhem and madness. Now it just makes me tired -- Like I wanna go look at some pandas or watch my boys frolic in a pool. I know that within a day or so everything will be back to normal. But after a week of not being really plugged in, the bad news is kind of assaultive.

On a lighter note, I'm downloading the thousands of pictures and will surely have something to post soon!

No comments: