Thursday, May 22, 2008

"Mommy, you're the best cook in the world!"

Don't get me wrong. I have no illusions about my culinary abilities. But I have, on more than a few occasions, worked hard to create a meal that would both nourish my family's bodies and their souls. I've cooked to present meals that would be a tangible expression of my love. Invariably, those efforts are greeted by "Eh" or "I don't YIKE it!"

But today, I got the payoff. Eddie said it first, and Chas quickly chimed in. My heart is full...with laughter. Here is the recipe that garnered such accolades:

Toast (with jam)

Ingredients:
2 slices of Multi-grain bread
1 pat of butter
Aprox. 1 tsp. Marionberry Jam

Take bread and insert in toaster -- one slice per slot. While bread toasts, soften butter in microwave (5 secs on high). When toast pops out, spread with butter, followed immediately by jam. Out of sheer laziness to avoid having to slice the pieces individually, put two slices together with jam and butter sides together to avoid mess while slicing (diagonally -- always diagonally!). Hand each boy a half "jamwich" without separating the pieces, again, out of sheer laziness. Repeat as necessary to quell the clamoring for more of this amazing dish.

No comments: